Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Reflections of a Fote 2: Guinean Look-a-likes

So far in my time in Guinea I have met and seen a lot of people who remind me of someone back home or a celebrity so I'm going to start a doppelganger list. I know I briefly mentioned some look-a-likes in another blog post but I wanted to show off some highlights.
        -In my 8th grade class there is a student who looks just like Seal, the singer. He's got the mild look of scars on his face to complete the look. Scars are actually used as a piece of style in Guinea. From time to time you'll see people with intentional scarring on their face. Actually met a few volunteers who are considering the same for themselves. I don't think I'll ever be that integrated. They do look cool but I'll leave those as the trademark of the real Seal and now my student. Just gotta find a rose for him to take a photo with.
       - Another student of mine in 9th grade has a habit of wearing a wig would pass as a costume wig for Tina Turner. It's curly and frizzed out into an afro style. The creativity and variety of the weaves and wigs that my students wear is always entertaining.
       - The most adorable doppelganger so far has been a little girl around six years old I met at the water pump. She and a friend were working together to push the foot pedal to pump the water. It was the cutest form of teamwork I've ever seen. Two 6 or 7 year old girls, each with one foot on the pump step, jumping in sync and constantly giggling. Her serious tone of Sussu plus the aforementioned scenario was enough to make me smile and giggle along but it wasn't until I realized that she looked exactly like Wanda Sykes that I actually laughed out loud. She's now one of the little kids I see around all the time and we still have chats despite no French on her part and no Sussu past "good morning" from me. She's always so direct with her speaking that I assume she's saying something of high importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment