Saturday, February 2, 2013

Newbies!

Finally we have some volunteers newer than me in country! In November, G23, a new extension stage arrived. They are fun, tough, and motivated group. I’ve really enjoyed hanging out with all of them and enjoyed even more being the person who answers the questions for once. So in my Peace Corps experience, I’ve moved onto my “sophomore” year, and much like college, it’s better with a little experience under your belt. Also, it’s like high school because you’re still a little peon who has so so much to learn!

In an effort to play welcome wagon to the new stage, I paid them a visit at the training site in Dubreka. It was a really weird experience for me seeing that place again. It’s like going back to your elementary school (I’m clearly a teacher- that’s my third education based analogy) or some place from your past, and when you visit all you can think about how different of a person you are now compared to the naïve lost puppy you were when you were there.

I had fun partying with the new stage and then made plans to help them climb the nearby mountain. Yes, the very same mountain that I climbed twice during my pre-service training, I figured the hat trick was necessary. Unforeseen caveat- the change of season can really change the conditions of the mountain! We got near the top that was mostly water and low plants the first time I was up there and found a full grown forest! We had to hack our way through to the summit with a machete, real bushwhacking! Also, at one point I suffered a slight injury: I got a splinter! This wasn’t a little prick that you pull out on the first try but instead I had my new friends dig at my heel with a pocketknife to remove the piece. Really odd place for a makeshift surgery but we managed, and I’m fine the piece fell out after a week (danced it out actually!). This also means that the Chaco’s commercial that was my service so far has been ruined. They’re great sandals and durable as hell, but not great to defend against stubbed toes and splinters in the feet.

I got to continue the party with G23 when I helped with their swearing-in process. It was again really odd to be on the outside of the process that I’d just gone through a few months prior to. Next thing to look forward to is my in-service training! The ever awaited follow-up to PST, IST will be a wonderful reunion of G22, the best Peace Corps stage I’ve ever been a part of!

Dante

No comments:

Post a Comment