Tuesday, January 7, 2014

It Doesn’t Look Like Christmas Part 2: New Year’s Glory

 Though our little traveling group had already crossed the entire country over a three day span, the journey continued. The second leg of our adventure took us from the southernmost point of Guinea to almost the northernmost. Much like our trip down, the trip up looked daunting but went for the “Band-Aid” technique and tried to get it done as fast as possible. It started with an 18 hour drive from Lola to Mamou. Once again, we bought out the entire taxi so we sat comfortably and I even watched a movie as all my friends slept. It was a nice moment, reminiscent of long car rides with my family – everyone sleeps except for the driver and me who occasionally exchange glances of “whew, almost there…”

La Dame de Mali
Part of the reason for our rush up country was to make it in time for a fun New Year’s Eve party. Coincidentally, I was spending New Year’s 2014 in the same place as 2013: Labé. The crowd was a bit different but a great time was had. If only for a few hours, we felt very American while playing beer pong and other drinking games after having pizza for dinner. I realize I just drew a sad picture of American life but that’s what I miss sometimes.

The real reason we forced ourselves to drive so far so quickly was to make it to another grand installment of Coup de Pied Contre le Palu (Kick Against Malaria – the same soccer event I hosted in my village back in April 2013). This time the game was being held in the beautiful, but secluded, village of Mali-Yembering, which is home to La Dame de Mali. It’s a would-be tourist attraction that features a cliff side that resembles like a woman looking off in the distance. The folklore comes with sexist undertones of female obedience, but it’s a beautiful natural site by any standard.

The weekend started with a quick trip to La Dame de Mali but she was hardly the main attraction. Our first full day in Zac and Caitie’s village was highlighted by a “friendly” basketball game in the evening. I would not declare myself a basketball player but I would declare myself competitive, sometimes overly, thus I went for it. It was fun to play a different game with Guineans being as it’s almost always futbol.

Victor's wear maize.
The next day we prepped ourselves for the big game. After the loss in my own village I was determined to turn it around for Zac, who was a week away from the end of his service. Getting our matching jerseys pumped us up as we walked over to the big dust bowl that serves as the city’s stadium. With perseverance, luck, and some help from three Guinean ringers, the American team came up with a 3-1 win! I couldn’t believe it but the scoreboard tells no lies. Again for those following at home, that puts the American team at 2 wins and 1 loss thus far; and there are an impressive four more games coming up in the next month!

The game was followed up by a Malaria Fair at the Maison des Jeunes (Youth House) complete with DJ. The night started with a slam poem from the local youth group’s leader who opened for the group’s sketch on malaria. We then lead a crowd of close to 100 teens through an eight booth fair showcasing all the important pieces of malaria prevention. The first stall they all visited featured a "Promise Banner". In signing the banner, the participants were promising to do their part to protect their community by sleeping under their net every night. It seemed like they were having a good time but the fair may have been out-shined by the dance that followed. Overall, we got our message out there and informed lots of teens on vital malaria prevention skills.
Presenting the "Promise Banner"

The next day I started my trek back to Wonkifong, which took a few extra days than normal. I had already agreed to give a malaria session to the newest group of volunteers, thus I passed up my own village to head to Dubreka. After all was said and done I had traveled more in two weeks than most Guineans do in their lives, and I was ready for a vacation from my vacation. I loved every step of that journey but I don’t think that my next vacation will be as active as this one. I’m thinking beaches.


Any who, that was my second, and final, Christmas vacation in Guinea. All I can hope is that my next Christmas will involve snow and, more importantly, my first family. With that said, I’m glad I got to spend such a nice time with my second family - my Peace Corps Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment