Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Same Place. Same Job.


This is near where we had the meeting, not The Lord of the Rings
After almost two straight months of traveling, I’ve finally made it back to what I’ve come to know as normal life in Guinea: teaching most mornings, Coyah in the afternoon, and all the reoccurring characters who’ve stealthily taken important roles in my service. My return to Wonkifong was quite unceremonious. Seeing village friends who I hadn’t seen or called in two months were polite enough to show a whole minute of excitement before going back to normal. It was a calm transition which was probably the best way. The habits of my daily life conformed quickly the village life I’d started a whole year earlier.

That’s really all that October had for me. I got to spend some extra time in Conakry to help plan an art exhibition. Time in Conakry most always leads to more time with other volunteers. I had just as much work as play mind you, it’s just that fun in Conakry with friends beats a Fanta and the BBC for a Saturday night.

November brought a few more noteworthy weekends. The first being a meeting for education volunteers. We got together to edit a new training manual another volunteer had recently produced. It was a motivating weekend during a school year that looks pretty bleak, so far as educational system goes. That same weekend was the weekend of cousin Daniella’s wedding to a great guy. I was sad I couldn’t be there for her big day but they understood the circumstances. So here’s my public congratulations to them!
.
A student just happened to pass my house with a monkey!
The second major highlight of November would be the holiest of all American holidays, Thanksgiving. Last year’s turkey day was quite impressive with a large spread of western food. This year’s Thanksgiving involved much of the same, I even made another lasagna, but then was topped by adding the second must-have of Thanksgiving: football. I mentioned offhandedly to my director that I’d be ducking out of dinner early to try and catch some of the UofM vs. OSU game. She then feels it’s the right time to inform us that she’s recently been connected to American TV programs like FOX, ABC and dieu merci, ESPN. Meaning, in a Thanksgiving Day miracle, I got to watch, in real time, a great UofM/OSU game. I would have enjoyed a better ending but I can only ask for so much on one day.

That’s October and November. Normally a time for fall trips and bon fires. I got to spend one more autumn watching rain fall incessantly instead of leaves and watching my students play futbol instead of UM play football. I’ve already made the promise to my mother that I’ll be home in time for next year’s Thanksgiving so I’m glad I made the most of this autumn in Guinea.


No comments:

Post a Comment