Sunday, December 30, 2012

Holiday Escape Part 3: M'Bour

After living it up in the big city of Dakar we took some nice "R&R" days in M'Bour. It's a small beach town just south of Dakar. Pulling into M'Bour was a bit misleading because all we could see was a bunch of empty shops and no sign of water, not what we signed up for. Then we got to the hotel and found heaven. This place was gorgeous! We were away from the street, right on the beach, and had a small hotel with nice quiet people around us. Being used to traveling with my family (constant plans, adventures and the feeling of "what're we doing today kids?!"......which I love), this trip showed me what a relaxing vacation was. We would wake up, have a simple coffee and toast breakfast as the sun was coming up then spend the rest of the day deciding what spot would find that perfect balance of sun to shade.

I feel like this should be a longer post because it was 3 days of my vacation but really there's not much to say. It was pretty. I slept a lot. Done. I'm really impressed that it was possible to find such an oasis for a Christmas vacation. I was so relaxed that for a bit I forgot I was a Peace Corps Volunteer. If that isn't the point of a vacation, I don't know what is.

On the way back home, which took another many hours of traveling, I made some nice rest stops to break up the trip. For New Years, I was in the regional capital called Labe. Really nice to see some volunteers that I hadn't seen in awhile and good way to ease back into Guinean life. After a few nights in Labe I went to another city called Mamou to help out with a training session for the new group of volunteers in country. All in all I spent 16 days away from my site and with the mixture of guilt and excitement I was itching to get back. I'm feeling refreshed and ready to get back into teaching. I know I've been having some troubles at site but I think with the advice of other volunteers and a renewed energy level I have hope that things will be on the up. I hope everyone's holiday season was great and, unlike mine, filled with snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment