Saturday, October 6, 2012

Back to School

So long Issiaga Diallo, enter Monsieur Issiaga Bangoura. I changed last names to match the popular name in my village; literally close to 60% of the families are Bangoura. They clap when I say my name and it’s the only one they know because my American name is a secret, per the advice from other volunteers. The week between my arrival and the first day of school flies by and before I know it I’m heading towards the school with nerves and energy to teach all 350 students.
 My excitement was met with a lackluster attendance of 10 students and less than half of the teachers. I’ve never heard of a country where the first day of school is taken so nonchalantly. After the first 20 minutes of awkward discussions about the lack of presence from anyone, my assistant principal sent home the other teachers and told me to go ahead and teach the class of 10 students who decided to show. So ironic to my enthusiasm to teach the whole school, I actually did teach the whole school.
Being a mix of all the grade levels, a chemistry lesson was out of the question so I was a bit lost at what to do. I started with an introduction of myself and why I’m there. After this brief 15 minute lecture, I offered that we should play some games. My brain scrambling to choose a good game for 10 students and I landed on the classroom classic, Heads-Up, 7-Up. After several rounds (one in which I cheat) of perfect guesses I decide that they are all cheating and that I should up the ante a bit. I then propose the game beloved by high school conference goers and Christian Youth groups alike: Mafia. I proceed to explain the rules multiple times, slowly. With hesitant faces, we start the game. A few rounds pass with a few people “dying” off, when I reiterate that the job of detective that he is supposed to find the “assassin”. He sends me a look of realization and very decidedly points to the proposed “assassin”. He is, of course, correct, and the game comes to an anti-climactic finish. I try to get them excited about winning when one student leans over to me and says “I don’t think we get it.” Defeatedly, I offer that I could start an English lesson. To my surprise, this idea is met with cheers and so last few days of the “first week of school” were filled with off –the-cuff English lessons.

View during a random bike ride.

It was nice to have such a small class and also really funny to hear students attempt to say “What’s up?” Unfortunately, I know that this won’t last long being as my projected classes range between 45 and 80. I guess it’s nice that I’m prepared (at least lesson planned) for the next week! Going to see some volunteers and a huge waterfall again this weekend! Love the mountain views!
Dante

No comments:

Post a Comment